Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
loropetalum losing color

Posted by gulleyj56 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 12, 06 at 13:42

My purple-leaved loropetalum has turned green and that's a disappointment. Any ideas as to why? I live in southern California and my only idea is that the plant is getting too much sun. Do they tend to lose their color in full sun? Is there anything special I should be feeding it?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: loropetalum losing color

• Posted by josh z8a (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 19, 06 at 1:43

I'm in the SE US and mine take full sun just fine. They will change color throughout the year. Mine right now have older foliage which is a purplish-green, the outer 12" of newer growth is a deep purple, there are a few bright red leaves scattered around. Almost any time of year there are a few blossoms...of course more in spring/summer.

I use no fertilizer, just make sure I water if we aren't getting enough rain. There are said to be various cultivars which hold purple color yearround but most I see around town here are similar to mine. josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here