Return to the Foliage Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Palms take forever to grow?

Posted by meyermike_1micha 5 (mikerno_1@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Nov 10, 08 at 17:31

Has anyone here ever grown a Kentia Palm plant?
Boy, do they take FOREVER to grow a frod, or leaf, or just grow at all, or is it me?
What the heck. Is there a majic fertilizer that speeds up frowth of palms?
I think most palms are like this. By the time I get one of my plams for a couple of leafs to grow, I will be long gone and dead and have to leave it to my beneficiaries!!
Is there such a thing as a houseplant palm that grows rather fast, and what is the name of one?
I would love to enjoy to see one grow instead of look at it like a plastic plant in the corner of my room just looking pretty!!lol
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Palms take forever to grow?

meyermike lmicha, the short answer is "yes!". Outdoors, under optimal conditions, it can take a year from leaf initiation to frond emergence in some species. That is perhaps, the best reason not to remove palm fronds unless or until they cease to function.
With regards to the other, almost philosophical aspect, of your enquiry, my own view that the indoor plant functions as a painting or piece of sculpture. It must fit in with the location (room?). A plant in a study (I assume shortage of space) can be very different from a plant located in a sitting room (did you say 'even less room?') but in each case I would keep the plant on a maintenance diet and regular pruning to retain its desirable features. If I want to see 'what a plant can do', I'd give it optimum conditions and watch it express itself. Yes, I do have a Kentia palm, potted, outdoors, under a tree ('dappled shade' is an apt expression) where it has just put out a new frond after about six months. I still expect to bring it inside after it has put out at least two more fronds; I have seen pictures of the Kentia palm, inground, unshaded and I do not like what I have seen.

o
RE: Do Palms take forever to grow?

Thanks ronalawn82,

Sorry I took so long to come back. But your help is much appreciated. I will tell you, even though it may take forever for my Kentia to throw a new frond, they are so beautiful..:-)

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Foliage Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here