Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
less4

Zamioculcas

less4
19 years ago

Any idea what this plant is?? We have one in the office and know nothing about it. Very easy to care for. But, we would like to obtain another one. Sorry to say, it came from Home Depot and they know NOTHING about it. But, it may be readily available, but we have never seen one anywhere else. And the HD people had it for sale only once. Our plant is labeled Zamioculcas zamiifolia. Help, please. Thanks very much. Les.

Comments (7)

• cailinriley
    19 years ago

Les, I didn't know much about Zamioculcas zamiifolia, so I did a google search because your post piqued my curiosity. It seems you have a plant that is so easy to grow that one site recommends silk plants to anyone who has problems making their zz happy!

I also learned that the plant is fairly new on the market, so you may have trouble finding another one. However, they are apparently easy (but slow) to propagate from fallen leaves. Here's some preliminary information:

From the Smith & Hawkens site: "Propagation: As soon as a leaf falls to the ground, plant it up in a medium of wet sand inside a zip-loc bag. Keep the zip halfway open. Place the leaf in a bright spot. Within a year, when the leaf roots, it's time to pot it up."

If you google "Zamioculcas zamiifolia propagation", you will find similar information on other sites. Another source is given below.

Perhaps someone else will be able to point out a source to purchase a grown plant. Good luck in your hunt!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cultivation and propagation of ZZ

• venezuela
    19 years ago

the plant has been on the tropical plant market for at least three years. I would think that in florida and California it is not hard to find. Probably any nursery in your area can order them from tropical wholesalers. It is a great indoor plant for offices or businnesses because it is so durable.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    19 years ago

Ahhh the ZZ plant! Prehistoric looking no?! It's become very popular, Tolerates low light and dry soil. Keep looking around for it.

Tom

• ankraras
    19 years ago

Some know the ZZ plant as Zamia. It is very easy to obtain from nurseries, garden centers and in the
    grocery stores around here.

{{gwi:12341}}
    Ankrara's Hobby Corner

• mayhr
    18 years ago

I have a question about zz plant..
    bough it yesterday and some ''branches'' are not straight they are leaning on the side, like broken,but they are not broken..what is happening?
    thanks

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    18 years ago

You may need to just prop up the tuber a bit under the soil to straighten it out.

Tom

• ajmenvironment
    16 years ago

ZZ plant or zamia is really hot on the market because it requires low water and tolerates low light. The thick leaves keep common indoor pests like mealy bugs and spider mites from attacking the foliage. They can be propagated in water or soil from cuttings or the tubers can be separated and grown out. They tend to grow very stiff and compacted in higher light levels and will fade to a lighter green and "lean" more in lower lights. As an interiorscaper, I use green twist tie at the base of the stems to support an upright look. A small inconspicuous stake can also do the trick. If the leaf margins take on a yellowish look, or if the stalk spikes yellow in a week it usually is an over watering issue. - hope this helps. I LOVE these plants for the aesthetic look and the minimal care.

Sponsored