Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maaltan1

Prayer plant

maaltan1
20 years ago

I am 95% sure i have a Maranta leuconeura erythroneuro

prayer plant. I got it from the great allmighty walmart (since theres no one else here where i live :) ) but walmart doesn't mark the plants at all

the plant looks identical to the one shown on this page:

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week205.shtml

I've got several folige plants and I was wanting to get an interesting plant. carnivourous plant take too much humidity and i dont have room for terrarium. but anyways i got a prayerplant cause it closes up

But my problem is It doesnt close up. I've had it for like 2 days and it just sits there. Ive put it in the bathroom (99.9% darkness) for 12 hrs and it doesnt close up. Ive read it closes to conserve water. the soil is rather moist so maybe its just "bloated" :) also . walmarts are 24hr deals which means the lights are on 24 hrs a day. maybe it forgot how to close or something.

Basically, I need to know if its "broken" or dying. will it start closing again? ive got too many boring plants i need action on my windowsill. I will take it back if it is. The foliage is great ..no brown anywhere except for a few small brown dots that im treated with some anti fungus just incase. probably just windburn or shelfdamage though.

also. im looking for some Mimosa pudica (sensitive plant) seeds. I refuse to pay $7 for seeds of a plant thats a weed. ($2 for seeds $5 for shipping average) id gladly trade. It looks like I'll have about 8-12 pregnant onion bulbs ready in the next month and i need to trim several things that can be rooted. but unfortunatly common.

Thanks for any help

ps. forgive me for typos and misspellings im in hurry and im on an unfamiliar keyboard

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm