Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mareblu

Earliest dates for starting sowing (indoors, under glass)

mareblu
11 years ago

hello,

Coleman delivers the latest possible dates for sowing, but is there a chart or something like that for the earliest dates possible?

If not: e.g.,if the seed package says that this spceial seed should be sown in March, how early can I sow it if I start sowing indoors and later move the pots in my green house/cold frame?

Thanks for any hints how I can find the best dates for early sowing!!

Comments (4)

• eircsmith
    11 years ago

Hi "mareblu" nice query. I am also facing same problem and willing to know solution on this.

• Charlie
    11 years ago

There are a number of sources available. I did my research on-line and created my own chart, using the information I found and the plants I wanted to plant. Clyde's Garden Planner is one source or you can use the Farmers Almanac as a source. Here is how that is done according to gardenguide:

Overview - The Old Farmer's Almanac has been used as a guide by farmers since 1792. The original editor, Robert B. Thomas, devised a weather forecasting formula based on his observations of natural cycles. The same formula is used today and is kept secret by the publishers. The almanac provides a guideline for when to begin planting seeds either indoor or outdoors. It also has recommendations for the best times to plant seeds by the moon.

Step 1 - Select the types of vegetables you would like to grow in your garden. Make a list in your notebook.

Step 2 - Find the Farmer's Almanac Planting Table in either a printed copy or go online at almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates.

Step 3 - Type the city and state where you live in the location space above the planting table on the website, or find the regional planting table in your printed copy.

Step 4 - Decide where you plan to start plants such as squash, pumpkins, melons, lettuce, cucumbers, cauliflower, cabbage or broccoli indoors. These plants can be started in trays indoors or seeded directly into a garden bed. Tomato, pepper and brussels sprout plants are always best started indoors.

Step 5 - Decide if you want to plant your seeds by the moon phases. The Farmer's Almanac provides alternative planting dates for those that like to plant by the moon. The moon is believed to affect both water levels in the soil and seed development.

Step 6 - Find each of the vegetables you are planting in the chart. Check the first column of the chart for the best dates to start indoor plant seeds, and the second column for starting indoor plants by the moon.

Step 7 - Check the third column of the chart for the best time to plant outdoor plants, or the fourth column if you plan to plant outdoor plants by the moon. Write the dates you've chosen by the vegetable in your list to guide you while planting your garden seeds.

Charlie

• Lcgrace Mahoney
    11 years ago

Thanks Charlie!!! I've got lots of studying to do!

• quiltbea
    11 years ago

For those needing starting dates, you can find most of your info at www.johnnyseeds.com
    Just check the list on the left and find your Hardiness Zone first; 5a, 6, 7a, or whatever.
    Then click on the Interactive Tools. Lots of help there to make your garden plans..
    You can enter your last frost date and get a chart listing what plants to start when in your zone.
    Very helpful.