Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zucchini Blossoms falling off, Help!

Posted by Dustbunny z9 FLA (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 15, 04 at 11:12

This is my first vegetable garden. My zucchini plants came up and started to flower about 2 weeks ago, but the blossoms are falling off now. What have I done wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zucchini Blossoms falling off, Help!

Nothing wrong, Dustbunny.

Most of the time, squashes produce only male flowers the first few weeks of blooming. These fall off.

In awhile you'll start seeing both males and females (the females have what look like miniature squash at the base of their stems). The males will continue to fall off, btw, even if they've fertilized females. And the female flowers will fall off too, leaving behind the miniature squash.

That is actually the plant's ovary. If it's been fertilized it will grow into a squash. If not, it too will fall off.

o

Thank you for your response! I guess I'll just have to learn to be patient and let nature take it's course.

o

Thank you for your response! I guess I'll just have to learn to be patient and let nature take it's course.

o

I mix cream cheese with herbs, put it into the blossom, fold it closed, batter and fry it. Mmmmmmmmm!!!!!

o

Exactly the information for which I was looking. My zucchini plants were rife with blossoms, and then just nothing. Good things come to those who wait; meanwhile, there are a couple of good sized blossoms crying out for mascarpone, fresh herbs and a bit of marinara sauce.

o

Hi,
I have read these responses however, I have a zucchini plants that have made just a few zucchini now all they are producing male flowers ? It is just taking a break ? Plants are experiencing an aphid invasion
..but ladybugs are working on it...
Thanks in advance
Jamie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here