Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mache/Corn Salad/Lamb's Lettuce/Feldsalat variety?

Posted by anijunga 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 27, 10 at 11:37

Hi there,

My dad wants me to find seeds for the feldsalat of his youth in Germany. He describes it as being narrow-leafed, dark green and with an upright growth. Apparently, they use to serve it on first-class Lufthansa flights in the 80s. Does that describe any corn salad varieties that you are aware of? Any popular varieties that you know of in Germany? It's a long shot, but I thought I'd try.

Thanks!

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mache/Corn Salad/Lamb's Lettuce/Feldsalat variety?

I believe what you are looking for may be Valerianella locusta. I found this seed at Fedco and here is the description that comes with it:

3102VC Verte de Cambrai Mche (45 days) Open-pollinated. A small-seeded small-leaved strain that performs especially well in cool or cold conditions and is the best kind for overwintering. May be the same variety Thomas Jefferson grew in 1810 under the name Candia.

Underneath is a tab that opens a window which reads:

MACHE Valerianella locusta

From Susan Lipari of Alpine, NY: "I grew up in Germany, and mche was a staple winter salad green. My mother always bought it at the farmers market, wrapped in newspaper. Even here, in upstate NY, Zone 5, it is quite untouched by the cold of winter. I harvest mche all through the winter, sometimes scraping the snow off the rosettes and blowing on my freezing hands. When the weather begins to warm up in the spring, mche begins to boltIn late Septemberthe seeds germinate and begin to grow. By the middle or end of October I can start to harvest the new crop. I dress mche with garlic vinaigrette and chunks of orange or tangerine. No Thanksgivingdinner would be complete in my family without Rapunzel salad." Also known as Corn Salad, Lambs Lettuce, Field Salad and Fetticus, mche has a unique nutty flavor.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/SeedsOrderItem.php?id=3102&listname=Mache

They also sell: 3114LL Large-Leaf Round Mche (60 days) Open-pollinated. Vigorous large-leaf type is suitable for sowing in spring for an early summer harvest. Weaver traces this strain back to the 1840s, but for centuries prior to that corn salad was gathered in the wild.

I also found it here:
http://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=1492

I just received my order from Fedco so I suppose I could grow a seed now and take a photo for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Mache

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here