Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
building a greenhouse?

Posted by Patsyptrsn z4 minnesota (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 12, 05 at 13:23

I am toying with the idea of a greenhouse and I have access to a bunch of triple glazed tinted windows FREE. Will this type of window work for a greenhouse or will tint cut the light? These are brand new windows with a high energy rating they were for a new school and someone ordered the wrong size and they did not want them back. Any imput about this would be very helpful. Patty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: building a greenhouse?

What color are the windows tinted?
I can't answer your question definitively, but I do know that the spectrum of color in a light source will affect a plant's growth. I've only dealt with this whole issue when buying plant lights for starting seeds indoors, but it DOES make a difference!

o

I would make some cold frames for the spring and see how the plants do. If they do well then make yourself the greenhouse. Kim

o

Yes, put a few of the windows over a wooden frame of 2"x4" and see how the seedlings do. If they seem bleached out and stringy, the windows have a tint that is blocking out what the plants need a tad too much. Even so, if you need windows on the northside of the greenhouse, tinted work fine, but most folks insulate the northside during the winter. Tinted windows are better for a storage shed where you want to keep the sun UV rays off stuff to limit fading. Want to send some to me? LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here