Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What I am planting before Valentine's Day

Posted by katy_bug z7 GA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 18, 08 at 18:44

I am finally going to put out a spring garden this year. I have the garden itch really bad, but I have a 7 week old baby that has slowed me down. Here is what I plan on putting out and my goal is to get it planted by February 14th at the latest. Any opinions on these varities?
Oh - I am in Athens, GA . . . zone 7
Soil temp right now is 46.53F

Peas - Sugar Ann and Sugar Snap

Beets Red Ace (F1)

Bok Choi - Mei Qing Choi (F1)

Lettuce Green Ice

Lettuce Braising Mix Hon Tsai Tai, Komatsuna, Red Russian kale, Southern Giant and Red Giant mustards, and Tatsoi

Green Onions - Ishikura Improved (F1)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What I am planting before Valentine's Day

I think you could delay the peas a week or two, and you may find the the green onions from seed are incredibly slow, but all the other stuff will do great in a covered frame or tunnel. When I gardened in N ALA and later in NC, I always started these guys undercover in Feb. Have an old blanket handy to throw over your set-up on very cold nights. I've seen lettuce seedlings sail through 12 degree nights under plastic covered by a blanket.

Alas, a zone colder now, I must wait a little longer for spring...

Prepare to be wowed by the Baby Bok Choi. I grow it spring and fall, and it's great as long as I can keep the slugs off of it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow greens in winter in a box

o
RE: What I am planting before Valentine's Day

I plan to plant as soon as the snow melts off the beds in my main garden. Going through my seed box, I found corn salad, baby bok choi, and lots of lettuce and carrots. I'll buy some new spinach seed, too. Those will be seeded right away, covered with a row cover, and will begin sprouting as they will over the next couple of months, with some more snow and maybe even rain before spring is official. I'll also start leeks, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and cardoon in the house by Valentine's day. Oh, and I'll start dropping spinach and corn salad seeds in the empty spots in my winter garden (low) tunnel as soon as I get the spinach seed.

Um, and there's one last bunch of the fall-sown spinach to pick. I feel a salad coming on.

Catherine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here