Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A cold frame out of straw bales?

Posted by bernadette_gourder 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 12, 09 at 20:13

I just came across this website that has instructions on how to build a cold frame with straw bales. This sounds very interesting to me. Would this keep in the heat well for zone 5? I'd like to overwinter cuttings and fussy seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the instructions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A cold frame out of straw bales?

Bernadette,
I am in zone6-a(ish), and put a strawbale cold frame together in this past fall. I have yet to go to your link, but wanted to say how thrilled i am with the one i made!
Someone gave me six bales, which i put into a rectangle. Then, i covered them with 6 mil black plastic, secured with homemade 9 guage wire u-pins. I laid thick newspaper in the bottom of this one, and filled with a bale of soiless seed starting mix and a pile of my homemade compost mixed into only the top 12 inches or so. It is quite fluffy, and holds water well. Atop the bale frame, i laid 2 old glass and metal storm doors.
We had temps only as low as 5*F. only once this season, many nites in the teens. I satill have fresh cilantro and mixed leaf lettuces doing great in their!! Of course they are growing very slow, but i get some each week for the dinner table or to share around the hood :) It is fantastic. This morning, my husband and i decided to increase this by three - and have it all!! This will be a mighty long bed/coldframe....and one end will be more compartmentalized and have a hearing coil underground for germinating transplants earlier. This will be very welcome, as i have reached a limit of 25 flats at a time in my cold basement with windows and light banks.
Hope you can do it, too! I am ready to have spinaches in there from now on, too :)

o
RE: A cold frame out of straw bales?

I forgot to mention that i have a thick comforter atop the glasses on these cold nights!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here