Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbb_gw

The big experiment

debbb
18 years ago

So I have this new unheated greenhouse. And I'm trying to think of the fastest way to get a winter crop. Thus, "the big experiment". Which (supposedly) cold hardy seeds would germinate first and grow? I planted lettuce, mache, broccoli raab, chinese cabbage and radishes.

1. Plant seeds in an indoor windowsill under a plastic lid thing.

2. Plant seed directly in raised bed in greenhouse.

3. Plant seed in trays in small protected hoophouse within greenhouse

Well, duh. Temps made all the difference. Plants started in indoor windowsill were up in three days. Plants in unheated greenhouse within protected hoophouse germinated next--in about 7 days. Plants in raised bed took 9 days, and some still aren't up.

Per Elliot Coleman's advice, once they're up they are pretty hardy without heat as long as you harden them off and get them gradually used to the cold. So from now on...

all seeds will be germinated in my windowsill, gradually hardened off, and then put in the greenhouse to grow on.

By the way, I thought mache, which everyone says will germinate in really cold soil, would be first up. Wrong. 4 seasons, Slo bolt and forellenschuus lettuce were all up first--even in the cold raised bed. Mache did eventually come up but certainly not first.

Anyone else with comments?

deb

Comments (2)