Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robbins_gw

mid-Februaruy hoop house harvest

robbins
20 years ago

Here it is mid February in Missouri. Temperatures at night are still in the 0 to 15 degree range and daytime highs are in the thirties. BUT - inside our unheated, single layer of plastic hoophouses we are harvesting lots of wonderful stuff - lettuces, turnips, radishes, arugula, pac choi, mizuna, claytonia, baby carrots, spinach, tat-soi, mache, and so much more. We do use row cover over the plants on the below zero nights, but that's it.

Sure beats the store bought stuff!

Comments (5)

• mikkle
    20 years ago

Sounds great, Robbins.

When do you do your plantings for over-wintering vegies? Do you remove the plastic from your hh for the summer, grow ordinary summer crops, and then fall plant for over-wintering? or is your hh used exclusively for winter vegies?

• robbins
    Original Author
    20 years ago

No we don't remove plastic and yes we use them all year - we grow tomatoes starting in March - also melons, beans etc to get a jump on the season. With shade cloth we are able to grow nice salad greens all summer. We also use hoop houses for cut flowers.

• caption
    20 years ago

hi robbins, i have just built a hoophouse 8x16 our favourite bean is the snap bean. is it easy to handle in a h/h or is it to bushy? i mean can it be trained up a cage like tomatoes?
    thanks tinki.

• robbins
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Tinki - I'm unsure if you mean pole or bush beans. I've grown lots of bush beans in high tunnels, but never poles. I have seen someone else do it and they had them growing up hogwire trellises and they were beautiful and productive. Give it a try.

• caption
    20 years ago

thanks robbins, i guess i do mean bush beans. i didn't think they would grow up a trellis, but if you have grown them that way, then that is good enough for me:-)
    tinki