Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Early season start using plastic hoops and mulch.

Posted by drscott 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 23:51

Has anyone tried planting early using plastic mulches and low tunnels? I am thinking of setting up low tunnels with drip irrigation, plastic mulch, and vented plastic tunnels. I live in Maryland just north of Baltimore City (Owings Mills.)

I'd like to try to get Brassicas in the ground March 15 (vs Apr 1), Corn and summer vegetables on April 15 (vs my usual May 15.)

Anyone tried this around in a similar climate area?

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Early season start using plastic hoops and mulch.

I grow all winter in 5b. Go for it.

Closest to the gate is a conduit hoop similar to what you describe, with plastic and fabric for warmth. Make sure you vent on sunny days else they'll cook.

Dan

o

Thanks Dan

Was planning to use hoop plastic with built in vents - supposed to vent on warm days and close up on cold days.

o

I can't use that product here, as the wind shreds it to bits. And it won't give you more than a degree or two of insulation so you'll want an Agribon product or similar over the top for insulation - ensure you purchase the product in an appropriate width so you have extra on all sides to secure.

Dan

o

Scott

You might be surprised how early you can plant without any cover if you plant the right vegetables. See web site below for your local county agricultural agency for earliest planting dates.

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

I used to garden in South Dakota and I once planted on the early date recommended by the local agency. I was so determined to plant on time that I went out and chiped a half inch of ice off the soil so I could plant. I was a little surprised when they came up. I was very worried when one week later we had another ice storm and the seedlings were incased in ice. But as soon as the ice melted, they exploded with growth. Peas and beets can also be planted very early if you plant the right variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crop Rotation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here