Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I plant now

Posted by mrsnatural1962 eastern NC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 15, 04 at 8:06

It is March 15th . What kinds of plants can I plant now,that would live if some frost hit them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I plant now

These babies would withstand a bit of frost & can be sown now:

chard / leaf lettuces / mustard greens / mesclun mix / turnips / radishes
spinach / cilantro / carrots / parsley (tho very slow to germinate)
chinese cabbages (bok choi, joi choi, mizuna, mispoona...)
snow peas / snap peas / green peas
(note: pea vines are hardy but not the pods, which won't be up for another 6-8 weeks anyhow)

That's all I can think of right now. Anyone else?

o

Along with what Bushpoet suggested I would suggest that you plant your Irish Potatoes,Beets and Head Cabbage, whatever varity you like. Also get your onions in the ground

ea

o

Hey bushpoet, your from my neck of the woods (where I grew up anyway) Now I am slightly up the river in Tarrytown. WE can plant those NOW! Who Knew!

What about Brocolli Rapini - I started them too early and I would love to get them in the ground

o

That's right, Gardentechz7. And I just remembered the cool-loving flowers like violets, heartsease, moonflower & california poppies.

enjayare, if that's broccoli rabe you could try hardening off for a week or so then leaving them out under frost covers? But I suspect they are really a fall crop & might bolt... I understand your frustration though: some of my wintersowing sprouted before I could get them out of the house (LOL) and I've been babying them under lights - but the maters & peppers are clamoring for more room, so I'm going to attempt to harden them off to a hoophouse this weekend (gorgeous weather today in NY, eh!).

~bushpoet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here