Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Summer & Winter squash problems

Posted by baliset 6/PA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 9:04

I had some problems growing squash last year, and I was hoping someone could give me some pointers.

Summer squash: I grew the standard zuchs and yellow croockneck. Plants started out beautiful and produced well, but within a month had powdery mildew and they all died about a month later. We have very humid summers, any tips to keep this at bay?

Winter squash: I did some Guatamalan Blue Banana, Triamble, and something else I can't remember. Every vine did beautifully for a while, and then started to die from the root end very slowly towards the growing tip. I had never grown winter squash before this and I have no idea what the culprit was. Help?

Thank you!

Jody

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Summer & Winter squash problems

The winter squash problem may have been a squash vine borer. It's a moth that looks like a big wasp which lays its egg at the base of the squash and the larvae bores it's way down the vine. I've seen them on my summer squash. I've put garden insecticide on the base of the vine before they blossom and avoided them. I've seen other people dig the 'worm' out after they see leaves wilting.

I haven't had the mildew problem...yet.

o
RE: Summer & Winter squash problems

The Cucurbita moshata winter squashes (butternut, cushaw squashes) have a solid stem and aren't bothered much by squash borers. I grow Seminole squash here and it is highly productive and has no insect problems. Around here, summer squash quickly gets overwelmed by borers, squash bugs, and powdery mildew and is gone by mid-July, so in the spring I also plant Cucuzzi squash (Italian edible gourd) which isn't bothered by pests and is still going strong with the first fall frost finally takes it out. Its my summer squash for the last half of summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here