Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

slugs at chard under agribond...

t-bird
12 years ago

Looks like slugs have been at my chard - under agribon 19.

How to prevent this next year....

?

Comments (8)

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

If you eat eggs you might want to put the shells in the oven and dry them out then crush them up then place them around your plants for protection.

• livelydirt
    11 years ago

So far, my best defense has been shredded or screened compost. Spread about 1/2" deep around the plants. The top bit dries out very quickly. sun goes down, slugs come out, slugs crawl on compost and it sticks to their slimy little bodies... they can't lay down a slime trail so they can't move. Sun comes up, slugs can't run... et voila - escargots. Works really well with baby beans - a hungry slugs favourite food. If it rains, fluff the compost up a bit or add a bit more. You can never have too much compost in your garden

Here is a link that might be useful: Lively Dirt - The Garden Blog

• quiltbea
    11 years ago

What about using beer in tuna cans?
    Bury the can up to its rim beside the plant, fill with dark beer, and the slugs will come to party and drown.
    You can also place boards here and there in the garden and in the morning, they'll be hiding beneath. Time to squish.
    To round them up at nite, go out when dark with a flashlight. When you find one, squish.
    Better luck this year.

• sudzy
    11 years ago

Been fighting slugs for years. BEST method I've found is: put some cornmeal in a small bowl set where you've seen slugs. (heck, put out lots of small bowls) Slugs love it. Next morning bowl (s) will be full of dead slugs. Have no idea why it kills them.

Bye the way, Mes-ca (sp) which is Mexican cornmeal ground to a fine powder doesn't seem to work.

Second best method: hehe last years heat wave and no rain had a silver lining. I couldn't find one lousy slug on my night walks.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    10 years ago

Why not use Sluggo or Escar-Go!?

• rock_steady20
    8 years ago

Lacelvail, I think most home gardeners grow their own to get away from the man made, store bought chemicals.

Eveyone: There are so many chemicals on and in the foods from the stores, there is no wonder we have so many illnesses today. Pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, synthetic fertilizers, etc.... Food is not JUST food anymore. Not to mention GMOs. Obesity and diabetes (Even child hood diabetes and caused by soooo much gmo sugars added to all foods. They even put High fructose corn syrp in cans of CORN. Anyway. That is the things that drive me to grow my own food. The industry can have the CRAP they produce, Oh the industry CEOs don't eat what they produce.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    8 years ago

Sluggo and Escar-Go are quite safe for organic gardeners. The active ingredient is iron phosphate, and you can use it exceedingly sparingly. You don't have to lecture me about food safety. I've been gardening organically for 50 years.

• little_minnie
    8 years ago

That escalated quickly LOL. I prefer diatomaceous earth for slugs. Lift row cover, sprinkle or use a duster, replace and check once in a while. Sluggo has a lot of P and my soil is overabundant in P. Diatomaceous earth is so safe you can eat it!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals