Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
slugs at chard under agribond...

Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 14:27

Looks like slugs have been at my chard - under agribon 19.

How to prevent this next year....

?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: slugs at chard under agribond...

If you eat eggs you might want to put the shells in the oven and dry them out then crush them up then place them around your plants for protection.

o

So far, my best defense has been shredded or screened compost. Spread about 1/2" deep around the plants. The top bit dries out very quickly. sun goes down, slugs come out, slugs crawl on compost and it sticks to their slimy little bodies... they can't lay down a slime trail so they can't move. Sun comes up, slugs can't run... et voila - escargots. Works really well with baby beans - a hungry slugs favourite food. If it rains, fluff the compost up a bit or add a bit more. You can never have too much compost in your garden

Here is a link that might be useful: Lively Dirt - The Garden Blog

o

What about using beer in tuna cans?
Bury the can up to its rim beside the plant, fill with dark beer, and the slugs will come to party and drown.
You can also place boards here and there in the garden and in the morning, they'll be hiding beneath. Time to squish.
To round them up at nite, go out when dark with a flashlight. When you find one, squish.
Better luck this year.

o

Been fighting slugs for years. BEST method I've found is: put some cornmeal in a small bowl set where you've seen slugs. (heck, put out lots of small bowls) Slugs love it. Next morning bowl (s) will be full of dead slugs. Have no idea why it kills them.

Bye the way, Mes-ca (sp) which is Mexican cornmeal ground to a fine powder doesn't seem to work.

Second best method: hehe last years heat wave and no rain had a silver lining. I couldn't find one lousy slug on my night walks.

o

Why not use Sluggo or Escar-Go!?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here