Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
codywalker_gw

Warm Winter Day Digging in the Garden

Codywalker
19 years ago

Hi,

I thought I would share my garden log entry for today with everyone. Please note, my garden is well protected from the wind and has a southern exposure. Drainage is also very good as the garden has a gentle slope to the east. It was nice and sunny today with a temperature of about 40F and not much wind. It was nice to get outside and dig in the dirt!

I harvested a salad of Corn Salad, Spinach, Radishes and Radish Greens from the tunnels. I dug up the eastern grow tunnel (nearest the compost pile) and removed everything except the Corn Salad at the northern end. I rebuilt the tunnel and planted three rows (6" apart) about 2 foot long of the following:

Mesclun  Spicy Mix

Mesclun  Sweet Salad Mix

Spinach  Melody Hybrid

Spinach  Bloomsdale Long Standing

Radish  Cherry Belle

Beets  Bulls Blood

Peas  Alaska

The soil was fairly dry and very easy to prepare. I only needed to pull the hoe through it a couple of times and use the bow rake to level everything out.

I also moved the wireless thermometers (Outside, Air, Tunnel Air, Tunnel Soil) from one of the other grow tunnels to this tunnel and replaced the batteries. I left the ends of the tunnel open. I had a couple of days where the tunnel air temperature hit 90F, even though the outside air temperature was only 45F. I donÂt want to cook everything in the tunnel. IÂm not worried as much about the cold, as the tunnel air temperature often was as cold as the outside temperature this winter. Everything I planted last fall survived several nights where the tunnel temperature dropped down to 10F.

I also dug up the middle grow tunnel. This was the tunnel that had the carrots in it. I transplanted all Spinach to the southern end of the tunnel (about 1/3 needed moving). I put up a new tunnel over the Spinach. It is a shorty, about 3 foot long. I have one end covered and one end open. Like the first tunnel, the soil was very easy to prepare. I planted two rows of Peas  Alaska where the remainder of the tunnel was. The Peas are not under a tunnel.

Finally, I fixed up the western tunnel by adding one more wire hoop where the tunnel had collapsed. I also opened up both ends of the tunnel. The third tunnel still has a little Corn Mache, and some scrawny Spinach and Kale from the fall planting. Basically, I ran out of time and energy to redo this tunnel today. Plus, I may want the location for other plantings later this Spring.

Happy Gardening to everyone!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!