Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting calendar on an excel sheet?

Posted by lucia_ca z9 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 08 at 23:11

Hi everyone,

I've had a raised bed vegetable garden for a couple of years now and would like to take the next step and turn it into a year-round producer....which I believe is possible given that I'm in CA USDA zone 9 and Sunset zone 14-15.

I'm confused about what to do and when, so I really need to rely on a calendar to remind me. I've begun an excel spreadsheet...listing vegetables/fruit down the page and all the stats across the page....when to plant, what the spacing is, etc. etc.

I can create a spreadsheet with a column containing a formula that calculates the average planting dates of all the items based on the average date of first/last frost. For example, if you are supposed to plant "x" 2 weeks after the average date of last frost, and your local average date of last frost is 3/1 then the calculation would tell you to plant "x" around 3/16. It seems though, that someone else has already probably gone through this tedious exercise.

Has anyone done this already so that I don't waste time in reinventing this wheel? If so, can you share a template? If not, have any tips, suggestions, ideas on how to do it best?

thanks!
---Lucia in CoCo County, CA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting calendar on an excel sheet?

• Posted by grandad 9a Louisiana/Sun't28 (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 15:09

Lucia, I have a spreadsheet which I use for laying out vegetagles (i.e. a vegetable planting plan), for keeping notes on what worked well & what did not work well, for spacings between plants, notes on seeding planting dates etc. For knowing WHEN it is time to plant I've just referred to the state planting guide published by the Cooperative Extension Service. Actually, I used to do this moreso in the past because I now have the dates committed to memory. Having a notification algorithm in my spreadsheet would seemingly be more sophistication than what I would need. (If I did feel the need to have a reminder, I'd simply take the start planting dates out of my state planning guide and add these as reminders in the calendar program on my PC.)

o

I think such a spreadsheet is available at yougrowgirl.com.

I've considered using one, but a more primitive system works fine for me -- writing things down on a wall calendar. It stays right out in the main room where I'm less likely to forget it. When I'm planning the garden, I go through with a colorful pen and write my target dates for doing things, and later make notes of what I planted when. At the end of the season, I can stash it in my seed box.

Here is a link that might be useful: my website

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here