Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spiritual_gardner

Inovative watering

spiritual_gardner
16 years ago

Surely I'm not the only one who hates to deal with a hose when ever I need to use it, plus I hate the way it looks when it's left out spread across the ground.

For the past two seasons, I've tried hiding the hose around the edge of my lawns and gardens, cutting it and adding adjustable valves, smaller pieces of hose and inexpensive sprinklers, and in general having some success. My main problem is the large size of my watering area and the fact that I only have one hose bib (in the back).

Last year I discovered a program my water company offers using the fire hydrant across the street. Using this bypasses the household sewer system, and saves money from that, if, you use enough water. (there is a deposit on the meter). The pressure from the hydrant is of course very strong, and I was able to water at least two or even three areas at once, which made hooking the thing up worth the trouble.

I'm trying to tweak the whole thing to where the hoses are hidden, easily used and adjusted. This year I will be adjusting my watering habits (about an hour once a week in most areas, not 20 minutes every other day) if needed as suggested by my local county extension office.

Has anyone out there played around with this type of thing? I would love to have an automatic sprinkler system, but that is just not gonna happen due to the tremendous cost.

Thanks!

SG

Comments (2)