Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inovative watering

Posted by spiritual_gardner 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 6:43

Surely I'm not the only one who hates to deal with a hose when ever I need to use it, plus I hate the way it looks when it's left out spread across the ground.

For the past two seasons, I've tried hiding the hose around the edge of my lawns and gardens, cutting it and adding adjustable valves, smaller pieces of hose and inexpensive sprinklers, and in general having some success. My main problem is the large size of my watering area and the fact that I only have one hose bib (in the back).

Last year I discovered a program my water company offers using the fire hydrant across the street. Using this bypasses the household sewer system, and saves money from that, if, you use enough water. (there is a deposit on the meter). The pressure from the hydrant is of course very strong, and I was able to water at least two or even three areas at once, which made hooking the thing up worth the trouble.

I'm trying to tweak the whole thing to where the hoses are hidden, easily used and adjusted. This year I will be adjusting my watering habits (about an hour once a week in most areas, not 20 minutes every other day) if needed as suggested by my local county extension office.

Has anyone out there played around with this type of thing? I would love to have an automatic sprinkler system, but that is just not gonna happen due to the tremendous cost.

Thanks!

SG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inovative watering

Hi, mabe this will not appeal to you, but several years ago I had a simular problem. I ended up getting some containers and filled them with water. I added some small diameter hoses near the bottoms and used drip heads to water the plants. I just had to fill the water containers a couple times a week and the plants had a constant supply of water. However i should add that my garden rows were only about 8 foot long each and the plants were spaced out for good growth, so there were only about a half dozen plants per row. I also added perolite to the grow mix to retain moisture longer. chuck

o
RE: Inovative watering

Thanks Chuck for your response!

I'm very surprised that no one else has addressed this issue of dealing with lots of hose.

I like your idea and have used it for smaller areas. I have two major issues I'm trying to make easier.

The first is the large area of gardens. The second is the hose and what it takes to get it watered.

The past few years of experimenting with hiding hoses, adding adjustment valves etc. has taught me lessons. Last year was the most successful. This year, I hope to tweak it even more.

I'm really tired of the time it takes to haul hose and the way it looks if I don't put it away.

Thanks again!

SG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here