Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone Nine Vegetable Garden Year Round

Posted by mpaige33837 z9 FL (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 08 at 8:08

Hi all! This is my first post but I've lurked for quite a while. I finally live somewhere where I have space for a sizable garden. I'd like to plant an organic vegetable garden (maybe mix with some complimentary plants) but I don't know which vegetables to plant during which season in my zone - I an in Central Florida, Zone 9. We get coolish weather for about four months, sometimes going as low as 30-35 at night between January and April. Daytime temps during those months are usually around 75, sometimes more. October through December nighttime maybe 50 daytime maybe 80 or so. Summer, well, brutal. nighttime never less tan 70 and daytime usually 90 or more.

What can I plant in SPRING, SUMMER, FALL and WINTER. I saw and printed the post about FALL zone nine veggie, so I think I'm cool with that. Is there anything I can plant this spring for summer or fall harvest?

Feel free to include any non-vegetable plants I should consider, if you happen to thing of them. THANKS!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone Nine Vegetable Garden Year Round

Hi! I am in Mobile, AL...technically zone 8b. This planting wheel was published in our newpaper as a guideline for planting and has been helpful to me in the past. I would think maybe subtract a week or two for zone 9? Or base your timing on your first/last frost date and adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps! Enjoy your year round garden! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Wheel

o

That was great, thank you for sharing. :)

o

wow This is nice. I guess I missed it for this year unless i want to try a controlled environment. Thanks for the link.

o

mpaige33837:

I also live in Zone 9 and I find myself constantly flipping through the University of Florida's IFAS vegetable planting guide. That can be found at the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: IFAS planting guide

o

Another Floridian here. I'm in North East. That wheel is great, thanks for posting it! It seems I'm a little late in planting some things and right on time for others. I think I'll laminate this handy little guide and attach it to my calendar.

o

Awesome planting wheel! Thanks for the post.

~Angela

o

I live in Florida there's lots of things here you can grow here year round. I'd say about 60% of everything that is grown here can be done year round

Here is a link that might be useful: vegetable garden

o

For all you new gardeners to zone 9b - Central Florida, contact your County Extension Office for help with vegetable gardening. In Orange County, you can contact me at 407 254-9200. My next vegetable gardening class is scheduled for July 9, 2011. Call and register for this free class with information that will make your vegetable gardening experiences more enjoyable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orange County Extension Education Center

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here