Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why don't my plants look as good as when I bought them?

Posted by meyermike_1micha (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 08 at 9:45

I bought a ton of flowering plants last year at my garden center. I bought flowering almonds, vibertums, lilacs and so on. When I bought them they were full of blossoms. What happened? This year I have more leaves than flowers!
They are not as full bloom as when I bought them last year in pots. I called the nursery and they told me they may never be!! When they are purchased from us, as the woman said, "they were grown in ultimate conditions to sell and look good for the public in some other part of the country. They get shipped to them from all over .. But growing them in your yard, they will never live up to their full potential, because they need a perfect enviroment to do so. They are still acclimating to my growing area, and our winters."
I have them all in full sun, fertilized and growing in compost. Guess I will never be able to grow outdoor shrubs as nice as the nurseries do..Am I right? Is this woman at the greenhouse telling me the truth?
My flowering almond when I bought it, was just all flowers, beautiful, then it grew leaves after the flowers starting falling off I transplanted it into the ground last spring. This spring, it is flowers and leaves, which doesn't look as pretty.;-(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why don't my plants look as good as when I bought them?

The nursery is right. The plants sold through them have been forced and very carefully controlled to give ultimate blooms so people like us see the huge amount of flowers and buy them only to be disappointed later. You can pinch back some of the flowers to make new growth that will help them fill out better. You will probably never get the same amount of blooms though unless you work with them constantly. Learn to love what you have and work with it.

o

Remember when you planted them in your garden you shocked them and they will need at least 3 years to acclimate themselves. You could get a soil test to make sure the soil has the nutrients your plants need for optimum growth, and make sure they get at least 1" of water per week. Otherwise you'll just have to be patient. I purchased many perennials, shrubs & trees over the past 4 years for our 2 acre property and this is the first year many bloomed like they should.

o

So it took so long to thank you both for the encouragement..Thanks a million. I will learn to be patient!!:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here