Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shallots & Green Onions

Posted by rajesh77054 z8b/9a TX (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 07 at 11:17

I planted some bulbs of green onions and shallots and now it has tall green leaves and I suspect is mature though I don't know how to tell really. When do you know the right time to harvest these plants? And does one clip the leaves off or pull the entire plant out bulbs and all?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shallots & Green Onions

Bulbing onions - those that are supposed to mature into big bulbs with dried leaves around them like the ones you buy in bags at the grocery - are not mature if the leaves are still tall and green.

You can harvest and eat them now as spring onions if you wish.

But when they are mature, the leaf stalk will be all dried up and brown and may even fall over. Sometimes, however, onion plants make a flower stalk and go to seed without maturing. They are a bit tricky.

What I recommend you do is get a good veggie gardening book suited to your region, and read up on onions.
-O

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here