Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ant3eye

Too late?

ant3eye
19 years ago

Is it too late to plant spinach, lettuce, peas, arugula & brocolli raab? I'm in zone 6, Northern NJ.

I'm expanding my garden this year and haven't finished some of the new raised bed yet so I haven't gotten around to planting the cold season stuff. Could I skip the hoop house since it's getting late?

What about parsnips, turnips & beets? I know they like the cold but and I supposed to plant them in the fall or can I do it now?

I usually just grow warm season stuff but this year I'm trying to expand my menu. Any advice would be appreciated.

ant

Comments (3)

• mhagood
    19 years ago

I am wondering, myself, whether it is too late to plant potatoes and some other spring things. Though I am technically zone 8, spring planting around here follows a more zone 7 schedule. I think you should put the lettuce and the beets and the turnips in the ground and not worry about it. Soak the peas overnight and put them in right away (use a quick-maturing variety, if you haven't already bought them.) I would hold the parsnips till the fall. Go ahead and plant spinach. I'm not sure what to tell you about broccoli raab as I'm growing it myself for the first time this year, but I would plant it, myself, maybe just a few plants.

Now this is just what I would do, guessing about your zone a little bit. But I have found that when I plant things as far ahead of the frost day as the charts tell me to, they sit in the ground and germinate poorly. My first peas, for example, went in Feb. 15, were covered and babied, but I still only got about half a stand.

For the things I am late with, I am planting them in an open-one-end hoop house and plan to take it down toward the last week of April, which is our tomato-setting-out date. That way they should grow quickly with the extra warmth, but won't get over-heated later when things get toasty around here.

Good luck. Spring gardening is my favorite gardening, but I had 2 weeks of flu and a late cold spring here, so ...

Best,
    Martha

• MikenGina
    19 years ago

Don't think it's too late yet. We have not planted anything yet but are making plans. We have had that nasty flu this year too, for about two months now! Yuck!!

• ant3eye
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I'll try and get started over the next couple of nights and hopefully finish over the weekend.

I have two kids aged 3 and 1 and they are just as energy drainning as having the flu. :) Have to wait until they go to sleep to get anything done. I need one of those helmets with a light on top.

ant

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor