Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandycfrd_gw

Is it too late to plant beans???

sandycfrd
15 years ago

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to cool weather planting. I'd like to plant beans and peas. Is it too late to put them in here in Portland, Or. ??

Comments (4)

• lantanascape
    15 years ago

It definitely isn't too late for beans - make sure you are past danger of frost before sowing them outside. I think you would be pushing it with peas, though if your microclimate isn't too hot, you might be able to pull it off before it gets too hot, as peas do best in cool weather. Give them a jump start by soaking in water overnight, then wrapping them in damp paper towels in a ziplock baggie for a day or two until the seed root emerges, then carefully sown them in the garden. I am in zone 6 outside of Boise and put peas in about three weeks ago. My beans go in around the first of May each year.

• heather38
    14 years ago

I would say beans go for it, peas too late, I feel I was 2 late in my zone and mine have been in a couple of weeks, that said I have discovered the bush varieties of snap and what I call mange tout (from UK), can't remember what the packet claimed it was? in the "oriental varieties" and these can apparently be sessesion sown all summer, with the shell peas aim for a fall crop, it will be worth the wait, that what I like about growing is the excitement of getting veg you haven't had for months, I used to love April in the UK new season lamb, new potatoes, mint sauce and peas, June strawberrys, October blackberry and apple pie yum! yum! I am salivating at the memory!
    On a side note about 3 years ago me, my brother (who is a chef) my cousin aged 19 to our 36 and 33 and my twin boys aged 1 yr went for a long walk and found a pub to eat in the main course (entree is that right?) was amazing and unusally for me I decided I would have pudding (dessert) in fact that possibly the last time I had one? as I am not keen on very sweet stuff, any road up, the waitress handed us the dessert menu and said "everything is on appart from the strawberrys as they as out of season" my cousin says "whats out of session mean?" so we explain and she says "well Tescos have got them!" (Tesco is a supermarket)me and my brother where nonplused, she is only 17 years or 14 years younger than the 2 of us, and so much has been lost in those years! her mum is only 6 years older than me! and on that note I am embracing 4 seasons gardening, I have just brought a book on it and the authors ideas are big! but he has put in so much detail I know I can down size it? I hope!

• luremaker
    14 years ago

I just planted some brown speckled butter beans, and I wondering if I could spray some Epsom salt on the soil. Would this help them to germinate quicker.

• gardengal28
    14 years ago

I am in zone 6 and I planted yellow beans like 3 wks ago and they have flowers on them already. They are kept cool from shade most of the day but get a little evening sun. They seem to be doing 200% better, since I put black plastic around them a week ago.

Sponsored