Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Composte Ashes OK?

Posted by bertman z6 CT (My Page) on
Thu, May 11, 06 at 2:02

I was wondering if I could mix in my stove ashes into my soil/ composte and eventually feed my vegtable garden?
I am not sure of the ph etc? or the health factor?
How bout plants do they like ashes?
Thanks for any feed back
bertman

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Composte Ashes OK?

Any body help with an answer
Thanks

o

Hi Bertman,
If the ashes come from burning logs, they are very good as a soil enhancement. They are`rich in phosphorous, which is the "P" in the "NPK" formula on a fertilizer bag, ie., 6-12-6, 6% Nitrogen, 12% Phosphorous, and 6% Potassium. They` are also particularly rich in Potassium, (K) containing anywhere from 4 to 10 % dry weight K2O, which is good. I would caution against using the ashes from any wood that may have been painted, as this might contain Lead, which you certainly will want to keep OUT of your vegetable garden. Otherwise, ashes are` fine.

o

+1 to what he said. i would use them sparingly though. you dont want to kill all the microbe that are making the compost. a little sprinkle each time you add compost should be fine.

o

Our Connecticut soil is really acidic due to acid rain so wood ashes are a very good thing. One year I had a lot of ashes so I sifted them through a window screen and saved them for the summer. I dusted them on my squash stems and didn't have any problems with borers that year. This is a well-known organic gardening technique.
You can also chop up leaves with your mower and spread leaves, grass clippings and ashes (or lime) on your garden in the Fall and till them under right away or wait until Spring.

Bob B

o

My garden soil tends to be a bit alkaline rather than acidic. For this reason, I use almost no wood ashes in my compost. It would raise the PH even more. I try to incorporate things that may make my garden a bit more acidic (lower the PH).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here