Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fall garden

Posted by lauren306 8 (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 11 at 11:26

I am in zone 8, what kind of things can I plant for a fall garden and when should I plant them??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fall garden

Nov. 15 is your first frost. For a fall garden in zone 8 you can safely plant Kale, Lettuce, Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, Peas, Broccoli, Beets, and Carrots.

Happy Gardening,
-Kristina K.

Here is a link that might be useful: Urban Farm Wife

o

It would depend on what area of zone 8 you are in! I'm right in the middle & can do more things than those at the northern end of zone 8.
You can also plant potatoes, radishes, kohlrabi, collard greens. Garlic is planted in Oct. to over-winter and onions in my area are planted from Nov. to early Jan.

If you are south of me, you can have tomatoes until close to Christmas.

Most things are planted when it starts to cool down a bit...generally in late Aug. or Sept....but it will still depend on YOUR area.

o

And I forgot celery!

o

I guess it depends on what you consider fall. I am getting ready to plant some tomatoes. Anything that will ripen before your frost date. We live in 8b. About 1 hour from Jacksonville, fl. I planted corn one year and covered it on Nov.9 and it survived. I got 27 ears from it. Trial and error as always. Collards do wonderful here and so does broccoli, lettuce and strawberries. I go by the calendar the local ag center puts out or you could google your zone for the proper planting times.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here