Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spike_gw

Welcome!!

-spike-
20 years ago

Does this mean you have four harvest festivals a year? ;-)

Enjoy!

Spike

Comments (11)

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    20 years ago

Thanks Spike.....actually 3 seasons are enough for me, I need the 4th to regroup ;o). But it will be interesting to see what Z-7 has to offer in winter besides carrots. vgkg

• chickenman2
    20 years ago

broccoli
    head lettuce
    leaf lettuce
    cabbage
    dikon radish
    radish

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    20 years ago

Thanks chickenman2, I also grow those in the autumn but carrots are the only ones to make it past Dec 21 (maybe a cabbage or 2). Parsnips are over wintered but not a big fan of those. A long term goal of mine is to build a decent winter greenhouse, at least to keep broccoli, collards, etc going. vgkg

• junkmanme
    20 years ago

I'm very interested in the subject of this Forum. I don't have anything to say at this point (other than 'I'm hoping to grow veggies all next Winter in the 'Sweat Lodge", hoophouse.)

I'll continue checking these posts and when I have something worthwhile to add, I'll squeak up.

Glad to see this New Forum,
    Junkmanme

• aka_peggy
    20 years ago

Whoa, what a nice surprise this is.
    I think there are many veggies that we can grow into the winter and we'd be surprised by just how hardy some of them are. I've seen my lettuce frozen solid after 18-20 degree nights and they shook off that ice without a problem. Young lettuce plants seem to do better than older plants. Some lettuces...or so I've read...can survive temps as low as 12 deg. I'm experimenting with that this fall.

Hey, if Eliot Coleman can do it in Maine, I can do it in Maryland.

Great forum, Spike is so good to us.

Thank's Spike~

• albertar
    20 years ago

Hi all
    Just got home from being away for a week. What a nice surprise to find this forum, :)
    Parsnips do well up here over winter VgKg.
    Alberta

• mogardener
    20 years ago

I've been growing winter veggies in a hoop house for the last 2 winters and I'm pleased as punch to see this forum.

Eliot Coleman's books are my bibles when it comes to this project.

Not to be confused with MOgardener1

• red14D
    20 years ago

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this site and new to computer forums, etc. so here goes my stupid question #1.....

What is a hoophouse?

red14D

• sugar_fl
    20 years ago

Red14d,
    A hoophouse is a greenhouse. Ours is made with PVC or plastic pipes. They can also be made with metal pipes but PVC is much easier to work at least to us. We made a wood frame & put pipe clamps to fasten the pipe to.
    Here is the plans we followed to make it.
    http://www.i4at.org/surv/green.htm

• aka_peggy
    20 years ago

A picture is worth a thousand words.......Yes?
    The link below will show a hoophouse.....but much larger than the one I made.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoophouse

• paul98037
    20 years ago

Posted by: Sugar_fl z8 FL panhandle (My Page) on Sun, May 25, 03 at 10:22

Red14d,
    A hoophouse is a greenhouse. Ours is made with PVC or plastic pipes. They can also be made with metal pipes but PVC is much easier to work at least to us.

reply to red14d

I made my convertible clouch tomato house out of 1/2 inch conduit using a bender that I bought. I really like the results. It is light weight and moveble. Sorry I don't have a digital Camera. I am working on it so you can see the inventions I am proad of.

Paul

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz