Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Welcome!!

Posted by Spike z5 MA (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 03 at 11:48

Does this mean you have four harvest festivals a year? ;-)

Enjoy!

Spike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Welcome!!

• Posted by Vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, May 17, 03 at 8:15

Thanks Spike.....actually 3 seasons are enough for me, I need the 4th to regroup ;o). But it will be interesting to see what Z-7 has to offer in winter besides carrots. vgkg

o

broccoli
head lettuce
leaf lettuce
cabbage
dikon radish
radish

o

• Posted by Vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sun, May 18, 03 at 22:43

Thanks chickenman2, I also grow those in the autumn but carrots are the only ones to make it past Dec 21 (maybe a cabbage or 2). Parsnips are over wintered but not a big fan of those. A long term goal of mine is to build a decent winter greenhouse, at least to keep broccoli, collards, etc going. vgkg

o

I'm very interested in the subject of this Forum. I don't have anything to say at this point (other than 'I'm hoping to grow veggies all next Winter in the 'Sweat Lodge", hoophouse.)

I'll continue checking these posts and when I have something worthwhile to add, I'll squeak up.

Glad to see this New Forum,
Junkmanme

o

Whoa, what a nice surprise this is.
I think there are many veggies that we can grow into the winter and we'd be surprised by just how hardy some of them are. I've seen my lettuce frozen solid after 18-20 degree nights and they shook off that ice without a problem. Young lettuce plants seem to do better than older plants. Some lettuces...or so I've read...can survive temps as low as 12 deg. I'm experimenting with that this fall.

Hey, if Eliot Coleman can do it in Maine, I can do it in Maryland.

Great forum, Spike is so good to us.

Thank's Spike~

o

Hi all
Just got home from being away for a week. What a nice surprise to find this forum, :)
Parsnips do well up here over winter VgKg.
Alberta

o

I've been growing winter veggies in a hoop house for the last 2 winters and I'm pleased as punch to see this forum.

Eliot Coleman's books are my bibles when it comes to this project.

Not to be confused with MOgardener1

o

• Posted by red14D z4 St. Paul, MN (My Page) on
    Sat, May 24, 03 at 22:51

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this site and new to computer forums, etc. so here goes my stupid question #1.....

What is a hoophouse?

red14D

o

Red14d,
A hoophouse is a greenhouse. Ours is made with PVC or plastic pipes. They can also be made with metal pipes but PVC is much easier to work at least to us. We made a wood frame & put pipe clamps to fasten the pipe to.
Here is the plans we followed to make it.
http://www.i4at.org/surv/green.htm

o

A picture is worth a thousand words.......Yes?
The link below will show a hoophouse.....but much larger than the one I made.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoophouse

o

Posted by: Sugar_fl z8 FL panhandle (My Page) on Sun, May 25, 03 at 10:22

Red14d,
A hoophouse is a greenhouse. Ours is made with PVC or plastic pipes. They can also be made with metal pipes but PVC is much easier to work at least to us.

reply to red14d

I made my convertible clouch tomato house out of 1/2 inch conduit using a bender that I bought. I really like the results. It is light weight and moveble. Sorry I don't have a digital Camera. I am working on it so you can see the inventions I am proad of.

Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here