Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering with gray water from septic

Posted by munnern none (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 15:49

We moved to a new region(Texas) last fall and began to prep the soil in November for our garden.During the prep, we discovered water seeping to the surface very easily, and discovered the pipe with takes the gray water from the tank to the field cracked. We proceeded on and on that end of the garden dug a trench through the garden for the water to drain,also made a T through half the middle of the garden so the water would draing that way too, to help water get into the soil. Knowing this is Texas and we had a draught last year, we thought this a good alternative to watering. There are only 2 people in the house, we limit the cleaning chemicals we use. So far the garden is thriving (we do not have root plants planted at this end of the garden). What are your thoughts on watering with gray water directly from the septic? (just so you understand the flow....if I do wash, during the rinse cycle all the water flows right on out the hole in the pipe and into the trenches, but when showering or flushing we see no water flow)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering with gray water from septic

Ok this is what i know about this not much mind you. but have seen this done on purpose this old guy that i know has his washing machine drain directly through the middle of his veggie garden similar to what you have he uses a "French drain" in the center about 6 inches wide filled with rocks. he also dumps his egg shells and coffee grounds on top of the french drain his squash and tomatoes look very health but i do not know how healthy it would be to eat it. as looks can be deceiving.

o

Ok this is what i know about this not much mind you. but have seen this done on purpose this old guy that i know has his washing machine drain directly through the middle of his veggie garden similar to what you have he uses a "French drain" in the center about 6 inches wide filled with rocks. he also dumps his egg shells and coffee grounds on top of the french drain his squash and tomatoes look very health but i do not know how healthy it would be to eat it. as looks can be deceiving.

o

For my city using grey water is illegal. So instead we hooked up a time and soaker hoses and weaved them through our garden. At 6am our garden is watered for 8 minutes a day. This is my first year gardening but the vegetables are beautiful and are huge. My tomatoes grew to almost 8 feet tall this year. I also live in Texas.

o

The water from the washing machine is diluting the flushed feces. What you are doing is putting water contaminated with human feces directly in your garden.

That is not "gray water" that is "BLACK water" ... sewage!

Sounds absolutely yummy, doesn't it?

If you want to use water from the washing machine, connect its drain DIRECTLY to something feeding the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here