Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Broccoli seedlings near tomatoes? Transition to fall crops?

kristimama
14 years ago

Hi folks,

Hope all your summer gardens are going well. I'm fairly new to gardening (started last year with SFG) and am really committed to trying to grow as much homegrown organic produce year round.

So I'm starting to think about fall crops and am unsure how to transition the garden, since my summer crops will still be in full swing when I am supposed to be planting my broccoli and brussels sprouts seedlings. And my peas. We often get a nice "indian summer" here that can last through the first couple weeks of October. Our first frost date is usually sometime in November.

I've been told we can grow spinach, lettuce, and kale and chard through the winter... but that at the very least we need to have our brassicas and peas in the ground by mid-September for a fall crop.

I have a 4'x8' bed that currently has tomatoes and carrots in it (half on one side and half on the other). In September, after the carrots are harvested, I was planning on putting my broccoli and seedlings. In another bed between some squash and some peppers, I had a spot where I was going to put another broccoli or brussel sprout.

But I just did some reading about companion planting and it said absolutely you canNOT plant brassicas anywhere near tomatoes or peppers. If that's really the case, I'd have to wait until the summer garden is kaput in October before I can plant things, which means I would miss out on having a fall crop.

I think I also saw that it said you can't plant peas near tomatoes. So I'm just stuck.

Then I've also read, but don't know first hand, is if you start things like peas and favas and broccoli in the colder weather, they'll just stay stunted till the spring and essentially be a spring crop. But I'd like to have some food to pull from the garden this fall.

Can someone who has gardened "year round" fill in the blanks for me how you add in new crops when others are in full production?

Thanks,

KristiMama

Comments (2)

• henryr
    14 years ago

Here in WA, I've often planted my brassicas next to my tomatoes with no ill effects. Also, I plant my fall crops of kale, collards, broccoli, and brussel sprouts by the middle of July to ensure they have a chance to mature before the cold weather hits and they pretty much quit growing until spring. I could probably wait until the end of July and be fine too. As far as companion planting, I've never noticed any major benefits from it except I like to plant my onions next to my carrots. I seem to have less carrot fly damage. Try it all for yourself and see what works best. Just have fun doing it.

• jekyll
    14 years ago

I'm not sure I'd worry too much about companion planting advice, at least don't follow it slavishly. There's a lot of quite variable information, and on occasion I have observed different combinations doing the opposite of what the companion planting guides suggest they should.

I've had brassicas near tomatoes with no sign of problems, and I think peas and tomatoes too. The only combinations I avoid are potatoes and tomatoes (they share diseases), and any form of pea or bean with any form of onion, garlic or relative (that one might just be a myth though, I haven't seen an obvious effect). Also, don't plant the same crop, or a close relative, in the same spot year after year with nothing in between, as it allows disease to build up.

I can't see anything in the plans you have suggested that would concern me based on my own experience.

Autumn/ fall planting of broad beans does result in plants that grow slowly in the winter then start producing in the spring, but that is good, because it is a difficult time to keep vegetables going. Same with peas in my experience. I had self-sown broccoli germinating in mid-summer and I ate them in late autumn and early winter, and I'm still getting occasional sprouts now, in midwinter.

Sponsored