Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanbean_gw

raincoast people? November veg?

deanbean
20 years ago

Hi! Spring stuff still going out and Im thinking of next fall! Im living on the west coast of canada... and it's very warm in the winter, but extremely cloudy (and often rainy) in november.

Any ideas on how to deal with the lack of light other than resorting to electricity? I've read that its important to get things started before temperatures drop and then offer them some protection from the cool temperatures, but most protection also cuts down the light they recieve... what will work in this area?

Comments (5)

• westbeck35
    20 years ago

The correct term is "Four Season Harvest". Mr. Coleman lives on the coast of Maine in a zone 5. I think it is the 10th of November that the sun no longer has the light power. The plants, at that time, must be big enought that they will hold their own. They won't grow but they can be harvested. It is like putting carrots in sand to hold them for the winter. All you are doing is leaving them in the ground and protecting the ground to keep it from freezing. Once the roots freeze you can kiss it all goodby. Most cold weather greens, carrots, beets,purple top turnips and the such need to be in the ground in time for them to be mature by the 10th of November. Mark the calendar and count back the number of days for havesting each vegatable. That's the date to plant the seeds. They will grow a little past the 10th of November but not much. If you want baby veggies, plant a little later. Like everything in the garden, we learn by doing, obsurving, and recording what we have done. Good luck.

• Carolj
    20 years ago

Actually, there's a fair amount of stuff that will grow for you, even in the lower light since you have the warmth.

Territorial Seeds is an Oregon company that has some good advice, and I know there's another seed/plant merchant up in your area who works with winter growers in the raincoast - sorry, I'm away from my library.

But most of the greens, since they don't have high light requirements anyway, will grow and thrive: spinach, meslun, arugula, winter lettuces, etc. And I think I remember that the leafy brassicas are a good choice - you're not asking them to fruit, just make leaves, like Kale, bok choi, etc.

Potatoes, of course, think our winters are an Irish spring. They'd probably pop out a tuber or more for you up there... carrots, onions, garlic (planted in fall for summer harvest, but you can pull it green for stir frys and salad and...) Basically, I've been told that anything that says plant so many weeks before last freeze is going grow and produce in a raincoast winter (we have other issues down here, like 90 degree hot spells in January) but I would guess that it may be slower in the lower light.

I'd be interested to hear your results....

• Helen_vancouver
    20 years ago

hello deanbean,

I think Carolj is referring to West Coast Seeds for Canadians. They used to be part of Territorial Seeds until a few years ago.

You can definately contact Mary, the owner for suggestions. I've seen some Chinese gardeners plant bak choi, gai lan, rockets and chard for winter harvest. I've overwinter swiss chard and lettuce myself. I've also seen people around our neighourhood plant brussel sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower.

I've never tried planting potatos over winter. Sounds interesting though. I just wonder if our wet winter would be bad for them?? Unfortunately, we're not as lucky to get 90'f in January.. Don't I wish!! lol

• deanbean
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the advice, everyone!
    I will definitely be trying out some asian vegetables... I did some gai lan and bok choi this spring, but I think later than I should have. The gai lan is spindly and the bok choi seedlings(!) bolted. Apparently this was because of the temperature jump we had. Sigh. They don't even sell gai lan at the grocery store here, so I have to make it work at some time!.

• Helen_vancouver
    20 years ago

Where do you live in BC? No gai lan! That's crazy! lol. I buy them at T&T or in Chinatown. My friend had better luck then me with bok choi too. She said if you grow them with a row cover or in part shade, it does much better. I planted my gai lan in part shade. My asparagus patch shades and cools them nicely. Try them again later on in mid-july. Good luck.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz