Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing garbanzo beans

Posted by chardella z8MS (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 03 at 7:47

Anyone ever grown garbanzo beans (chick peas)????
I'm interested. There is a Mexican in town that has a restaurant and he has turned every square inch of earth into something edible and growing. It is amazing what he has done. He used to garden 20 acres BY HAND in Mexico. It's pretty awesome. Anyway he has garbanzo growing but was unable to give me much info? I'm curiousl
thanks for your help
charlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing garbanzo beans

I grew them last year. I didn't use them effectively, my garden was too big to do it all. They were totally different than any bean I had ever grown. A lacey plant that made the beans on the end of the stems. Kind of wierd. I didn't harvest them. Not sure if they really got ripe in my northern garden. I got the seeds from Seeds of Change. I would like to try them again. I cut my garden down to a couple of raised beds this year. I use garbanzo flour because it is like regular flour. I am gluten sensitive and am finally baking again using that kind of flour. I get it from Bob's Red Mill.

o

I tried growing garbanzos once before and nothing happened by planting them in the ground. I am currently soaking them and a sprout is coming on. I am Spanish and around the turn of the century it was the staple food (with fideo noodles) of my grand parents and I guess all other people in Spain. I see that you are from Mississippi. when i was a kid a most wonderful lady from Mississippi lived next door. I loved spending time with her. She would tell me about all the plants in her yard and around her fish pond. Also, a few stories about what it was like in Mississippi in the teens and 20's. Now that I am old I realize she was a sort of best friend to me. I've kept up through the years and still at least send a Christmas card to her sons family. I live in San Jose California as did she. She was from Kosciusko and also lived in Thomastown for a while. I hope to one day go and visit her out there.
Augie Gonzales

o

Hello! I didn't have success when planting them directly into large planters (they may have been attacked by pigeons, or other birds, as soon as they appeared). However, they sprouted almost immediately (after about 3 days) when I planted them first in little pots in a protected area, in soil mixed with hydrogel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here