Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter-over spinach in containers

Posted by Adenn1 z7PA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 30, 04 at 7:49

I was going to try some spinach in 4' window boxes for the fall. I had no plans to try to keep them till spring until I came across this forum.

My question is whether the spinach could be wintered and then be harvested in the spring. I have a covered area (under my three-seasons room)that I could put the containers and then mulch them over with shredded leaves. Would this work. Any paricular variety of spinach that would be successful?

Thanks much...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter-over spinach in containers

Spinach is very hardy. Territorial Seed Company has some varieties that are extra hardy. They will over winter with very little protection. I don't give my spinach any protection and they survive all winter. But our lowest temps are usually in the low teens. I wouldn't bother put spinach in pots. I put them straight in the ground. But then again I usually plant a few hundred plants.
Kendra

o

Adenn1.....I have the same idea---I have two 4' long 'hayrack' planters on the side of my garage, fairly sheltered, but sunny in the afternoons. I thought I'd put them to use over the winter by growing spinach and dwarf carrots. I might keep a couple of pieces of row cover handy to cover them up if the weather gets really cold (not a frequent occurrence here in Central VA), but otherwise not give them additional protection. I also have a small coldframe where I can grow a few things as back-up, in case my experiment fails!

Good luck!

o

I plan to start the spinach in the containers in the next week or so--I believe I should wait till weather get a bit cooler. Will let you know how it turns out...

Thanks...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here