Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

low hoop for winter brassica bed...pests from summer a problem?

t-bird
12 years ago

Hi all,

I have a bed I'm planning on dedicating to brassicas for the fall/winter garden, based on it being fully harvest/done with the current crops fairly early, I plan to put a low hoop over it (stuff from johnny's).

Currently in the bed are beets and carrots - beets are small but harvestable, should be going through those in a few weeks. Carrots the same. These were early spring plantings and there are also cukes on one end and zucchini and okra onn the other end which will give out early.

NOW - along with the spring plantings were a few cauliflower that are still small - 2 about 6" high with 4 or so leaves, and 1 I just noticed with the first 2 true leaves.....they are going along very slowly!

I noticed leaf miner marks on the 2 larger ones. nipped those leaves out and discarded.....so far no cabbage worms but have seen the white butterflies about. Training mr puppy to go at them. They do leave the yard once he is on their tail, although he hasn't eaten one yet, he does like moths.....

Is there any hope for these cauliflower at this time to come through?

AND - should I move them to keep the bed free of brassicas (and brassica pests) till the fall bed goes in?

What are your experiences with erecting the hoops, and trapping in pests?

Any advice on beds being used for summer crops, and transitioning to fall with protection?

Thanks for info!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting