Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing peas thru the summer heat

Posted by phawx UT6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 13:24

Next year I will have a bed dedicated for growing peas and I'm trying to figure out how to continue growing/harvesting them thru our dry summer heats. Our current temps now are in the high 90s and high 60s at night. It's been known to get into the 110s and teens, just not this summer so far :)

Is it possible to shade them with either another vining crop planted in front or a shade cloth draped in front of them? The bed we're planning on building is 12' long and 1' wide. It faces south, so if we were to plant a summer crop or place a shade cloth at the front, it would completely shade the peas.

Is this something I can do? Am I on the right track here or completely off base? Any suggestions, comments, ideas would be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing peas thru the summer heat

purple hull pink eye peas. not an expert but i know they love the heat here in tn. i have about 600 feet of em growing right now and they love the heat and they sell well at market, 1.50-2.00 a pound 22-25 a bushel. people say they are really good but i have not tried em yet you may wanna just check out a seed companiees web site they may have warm season and cool season crops you can choose from, or ask a farmer at your local farmers market im sure they might be glade to tell you just be sure they arent bizzy with a bunch of customers, walk around for awhile look at everything wait for things to slow down other than that i can't really help much maybe plant in the shade of a tall row of okra or a neatly tied up row of tomatoes could work but they are guesses just like yours, im still new.

o
RE: Growing peas thru the summer heat

I, too, had thought that peas were not a summer crop. Recently, my husband took me "boonie busting" (no trail) to a section of our acreage that I rarely visit due to hordes of mosquitoes. There was an acre of sweet peas! (beautiful!) We picked a pail, they were starchy rather than sweet. That isn't the point, though...in the spring that section of meadow is a bog. To walk there is to squelch there. Then it begins to dry up and the sweet peas bloom there a month after they are finished in the rest of the county. I'm thinking that moisture is the key, as this meadow is not shaded.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here