Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 4 Fall crops

Posted by RunningRiot z4 MN (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 04 at 13:32

I'd appreciate information on what fall crops anyone has successfully grown in zone 4 (Minnesota). What does well, when should seeds be planted? Is it too late to start broccoli or cauliflower from seed?
Thanks,
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 4 Fall crops

Zones refer to the average cold temperature in the winter. A better method of deciding what to grow and when to plant is average last and first frost dates. What's your average first frost date?

o

I've had frost the first week of September (unusual) and not until the last week of October (also not usual). Average frost date is probably around October 1.
Susan

o

According to Eliot Coleman's "4 Season Harvest" you can plant broccoli and cauliflower through early August for harvest in late October. They can survive light frost but can easily make it through October with a little protection like a row cover. The tricky issue for growing cold-hardy plants in fall isn't frost as much as the decreasing day length that greatly reduces the rate of growth in plants.

Based on my Z4 experience, I will be planting broccoli, lettuce, radicchio, chinese cabbage, and other heading plants the last two weeks of July. (I gave up on growing cauliflower many years ago.) Faster growing plants like spinach, arugula, radish, cilantro and mesclun salad mixes can be planted later in mid August. They can be planted again a couple weeks later if you can provide cold frame or hoop house protection later in the fall.

o

I'm going to try some faster maturity beans, soybeans and blackeyed peas. I heard it's suppose to add more nutients to the ground for the next year.

o

Our first frost date in Minneapolis is September 15. I just did research and posted lots of great sources including a planting schedule for zones 3-4 on my blog A Minneapolis Homestead below.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Minneapolis Homestead

o

I harvested a bucket full of carrots yesterday that I planted after early potatoes here in Maine. They are sweet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here