Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crayphish_la

Fall planting

crayphish_la
14 years ago

Hello everyone!! Anyone in the gulf south planting a fall veggie garden?

Comments (8)

• wilto
    14 years ago

Well I'm in Pensacola Fl and unsure what I can start growing now for the fall as this is my first in Fl! So what are you guys gonna be planting now for the fall.

• kumquat1
    14 years ago

Mustard greens (all greens), lettuce, snow peas. Sep 15 is the planting date in our zone. Autumnal equinox is around Sep 22, after that the days grow shorter and you can keep a seedling alive without standing over it with a water hose. Good luck.

• vagardenerz7
    14 years ago

Any VA gardeners out there planting for the fall? I'm new to gardening and (this may be a dumb question) but is there anything that can still be planted and have time to mature before frost? Thanks for any help!

-Brittany

• gardener_sandy
    14 years ago

Brittany, you can plant a few things now and still get good results. I just planted kale and several kinds of lettuce and they can be planted for another few weeks.

Generally, anything that matures in less than 60 days or that will tolerate light frost is ok now. Some varieties of peas, most lettuces, collards, and kale are the ones that come to mind. Just remember that some years we get frost early, some years it comes late. And there may be areas in your yard that stay warmer than other areas, such as near the foundation on the south side of the house. Low areas tend to be colder and may frost earlier than the rest of the yard. At the first frost you can cover up for a few nights those plants that might be damaged and then we usually get another stretch of warmer weather.

All gardening is something of a gamble. Give it a try. Or try a few in containers that you can bring inside for the first few frosty nights.

Good luck.
    Sandy

• natal
    14 years ago

Hey Crayphish, never knew this forum existed. I was looking at the main forum list to share with someone and this caught my eye. Guess I need to explore GW a little more.

Next week I plan on seeding bush beans and beets. I kept one Sun Gold tomato plant from the summer garden and started another from a sucker, so they're the beginning of the fall garden. Also plan to seed lettuce, arugula, Swiss Chard and put in a few more herbs ... parsley, salad burnet, thyme, and dill.

What are you planting?

• vagardenerz7
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reply Sandy! I went out and looked for some seeds today and now I have a new problem...seeds...I can't find any. I guess I'll just have to plan better next year...Thanks again though!

-Brittany

• maps31
    14 years ago

try the seed exchange forum. Its good and diverse and fast!
    good luck I am doing the same. out with the old, in with the new!
    (fingers crossed)

• natal
    14 years ago

Brittany, lots of online sources for seed. Try Johnny's, Territorial, Seed Savers Exchange, Park, Burpees, etc.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz