Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattilacy

Anyone in my zone giving this a try?

pattilacy
20 years ago

If so just curiuos if you are planting anything yet. Was thinking about starting cole crops, tomatos and peppers from seed for planting out next month. Texas A&M says to start now but it just seems sooo hot and early to me. any advice?

Comments (8)

• kendrab225
    20 years ago

I am in Zone 7B. Last fall was my first time planting cole crops. I remember thinking it was too hot to plant. I ended up waiting to late. So I am getting an early start this year.
    Kendra

• pattilacy
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I was really thinking it was too early but I have planted these up for transplants and have them kinda in the shade so hopefully it will work out. We are trying to have fresh veggies from the garden as many months of the year as possible....

• kendrab225
    20 years ago

I am keeping my seeds in the shade also. It is so hot that it the only way to keep them moist. I don't know how your weather is in the fall. But here in Alabama it is extremely hot until about early October. Then fall seems to come in overnight. I just got my seed order back from Territorial seed. I'm so excited. Now I need to prepare the garden for rutabagas.
    I am also trying to grow as much of our food as possible. It has been a learning experience. I am hoping for a even better harvest this fall/winter.
    Kendra

• katzz
    20 years ago

yep, I am in your zone and I am starting seeds for Fall garden transplants now. My first freeze date is Nov.26th. I am going to plant lima beans ,squash and chard out in my garden around the last of July.

• Violet_Z6
    20 years ago

Check with your state's Extension Service. Each county has it's own Cooperative Extension Office which provides free publications and information for the asking.

The following two images are excerpts from the Vegetable Planting and Planning Calendar for Missouri complete with spring and fall planting dates, how much to plant per person, etc. Just call up the office in your county. Look under the "Government" section of your phone book under "Extension". They will also have valuable vegetable/gardening tables available specifically for your area.

Violet

{{gwi:385463}}

{{gwi:385464}}

• morningstar_nwfl
    20 years ago

I know what you mean-- it's kind of tough to get excited about planting winter crops when it's so dadgum hard to keep up with the summer crops,(I'm drowning in pole beans!), summer weather, and summer BUGS!!! I did, however, start some lettuces, broccoli, and brussel sprouts for transplanting last week, and sowed some lima beans and beets. I'll be planting carrots, spinach, and english peas in the middle of August, as soon as there's space available in the garden and cooler weather becomes more likely after the seeds germinate.

• prahatexas
    20 years ago

If you think it is too hot start seedlings in your house.

• morningstar_nwfl
    20 years ago

Been there, done that already. Didn't work. Between the new kitten and my three year old and four year old boys, I've lost more seedlings than I want to think about! If the boys can't reach them, the kitten does. I guess I'm just going to have to wait until it's cool enough to start seedlings in my garage, but right now the temp out there is about 90.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living