Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Im having tons of issues container gardening here..

Posted by karjab40 hawaii (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 1:23

OMG..I am soo frustrated. I've only been gardening three years. We are a military family and we just moved from fort campbell kentucky to oahu hawaii. On this base housing i am not allowed to grow anything in the ground so everything is in containers, which is fine because at the last base i had a lot of container plants as well. So first i realized there are no bee's around here so I tried to pollinate the squash and cucumbers myself.to no evail. Then I found maggots in my sweet peppers!!! And now...My tomatoes, which are my biggest growers and what i use to make all sauces etc..and can. (i made pickels in the past too)..are now suffering from early blight!!!! The soil i bought for the containers was organic. I do use miracle grow but no pesticides yet. But at this point seriously considering using something because all the money we have put into re-creating a garden in a different location. I can't find many blogs on vegetable gardening for my area..so i am LOST...does anyone have any advice or ideas???? Much appreciated..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Im having tons of issues container gardening here..

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. You may want to attract pollinators with flowers. I imagine gardening in KY is much different than Hawaii. Did you follow the planting times for your area? Sometimes suceptibility to pests and disease increases because they were planted too early or late. Here in Florida I had to pull up my tomatoes because it got too hot.

There is a Container Gardening forum and a Hawaii Gardening forum that would have gardeners that could really help you. I love this site because I have been able to find specific help for my area. Hope you can get some Hawaiian gardeners to chime in!

o
RE: Im having tons of issues container gardening here..

Do you have an agricultural center near you? They help me with lots of questions and have free info pamphlets.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here