Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Kale in greenhouse in winter

Posted by Hockeymanvt VT (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 12:48

I have some great Kale growing in my VT garden. I want to have kale all through the winter. I am building a greenhouse 10 x 16 for this purpose. I will have a rocket stove in it to add some heat to the beds when it gets below 20. My question is can I take some of my klale from the garden or must I start from seed? I hope to save some seed from the Russian and Italian kale that has done so well. Any advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Kale in greenhouse in winter

Kale transplants well when fairly young. I've moved plants a foot tall. You can plant a little deeper when you move it. Water in well until it re establishes. Red Russian self sows for me but your winters may be too harsh to rely on it coming through and flowering the following spring.

o

I have Kale growing in my greenhouse that I transplanted last month. It is in a wooden barrel and it has survived 15 degrees outside, not sure what temp was on inside but it was not heated. I am sure it was only around 20 or lower. I do wish I had planted it deeper. It is somewhat tall. I have also started some Arugula, Swiss Chard, Cabbage, Bok Choy and Buttercrunch lettuce that is also surviving. We just put a barrel woodstove in there today to keep it warm enough at night so they continue to grow. Today it was very nice in there with the sun shining. I think around 70 or so. Nice !

o

In my experience, Red Russian is the *least* frost hardy of all the kales I've grown. Winterbor Kale and Beedy's Camden Kale are the most hardy.

o

And Winterbor is fully hardy to at least 5 degrees. It winters over for me and produces a wonderful flush of spring greens that taste and look like small broccoli--you eat stems, leaves and buds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here