Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed Source for Rural 7B Texas

Posted by Brahmama 7B TX (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 03 at 20:42

Getting back into gardening and going to try my luck in the fall as the heat (and wind) in the summer here is killing my plants. Where is a good place to order seed? It's been a few years since I've had any seed catalogues around, but I guess I'm not too old to try again!
Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed Source for Rural 7B Texas

try: territorialseed.com, Burpee.com, Parkseed.com, rhshumway.com .
I did an online search for "free vegetable seed catalogs", and got about 15000 options.

o

Exactly, Morningstar. There are so many. I was hoping to find a source where people in this same region ordered from. It seems to me that seeds from veggies raised in the same climate would do better. Does that make sense? I guess I was hoping for a "southern" or "southwest" seed source. But thanks for the suggestions and reply.

o

Ooops! I meant to tell you (but forgot) that I use Park Seed (from the Carolinas), and Shumway seeds. A lot of the catalogs, like Burpee, list varieties that are heat and drought tolerant, like "Heatwave" and "Homestead" tomatoes and "Black Seeded Simpson" and "Salad Bowl" lettuces, "Wando" english peas, etc....
Did you want heirloom or hybrid varieties? Rareseeds.com has some great varieties.
Good Luck!

o

I highly recommend Baker Creek Seeds. Excellent customer service, excellent selection, excellent germination rates.

It depends on what you're wanting to grow. Let us know or if you'd like to browse customer opinions of mail order companies, check out the Garden Watchdog: Guide to Gardening by Mail

Scroll down and they have the "Top 20" listed. You can search by company or by products like herbs, vegetables, grasses, ferns, etc.

:)

Violet

Here is a link that might be useful: Recommend a Seed Co?

o

You have a Texas source for seed - Willhite Seed Company (www.willhiteseed.com) in Pooleville. Also try local feed stores for bulk seed (they measure the amount for you instead of selling prepackaged seed). Avoid the "city-slicker, Big Hat no Cows" feed and garden stores and the big box stores unless you enjoy buying expensive seed that works well in California. I gardened in Texas for six years and found these sources had seed that worked well for Texas' climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here