Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyinva

planting fall veggies in clumps

sandyinva
11 years ago

I have decided to do a fall garden, I did not decide soon enough to plant seedlings, and will have to order on line. Some of the online sites package their veggies 2-3 in a pot, and suggest that they be planted that way. I have never planted broccoli or cauliflower in clumps. Will it compromise production?

Comments (4)

• dan_nz_gardener
    11 years ago

It certainly will, sounds like a crazy idea to me. Sometimes i get greedy and plant my broccoli too close together, result...smaller heads. For better production i'd space them 400mm apartvat least. If you have the room try planting the 3 together as suggested and compare your bounty.

Dan

• sandyinva
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Dan, I held off, the company had sad you could separate them but it would risk injuring the plants, and that seemed like a red flag, I had never heard of planting veggies like that except for cukes. I will plan ahead and do my own seedlings next year.

Sandy

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    11 years ago

Sandy,

I know this is an older post, but it isn't crazy, you can do it and it works. I have done this with broccoli in one of my movable high tunnels and had beautiful heads. It is an idea from Eliot Coleman.

Here is clump of 4 broccoli plants.

{{gwi:12633}}

Here is the whole movable spot after I moved the building off of it.

{{gwi:12632}}

Sorry, I can't find any mature pictures.

Jay

• curt_grow
    11 years ago

I have a friend that planted cabbage, sprouts and broccoli three and four to a clump. The only thing he did was to space the clumps at a larger distance than he would single plants. Like Jay he had a good crop and less hand weeding was needed. I also have grown onions in clumps of three or four they also grow fine this way. My thanks to Elliot Coleman for that information on planting in a clump.

Curt

Sponsored