Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aleopold_gw

Fall Lettuce

aleopold
18 years ago

Hello everyone. First, any varieties that you would recommend for fall sowing? Second, I live in Zone 6B. I sowed some lettuce and cabbages last week into soil blocks. Now, I was mainly just trying to see if I could get them to germinate in the hot (90-95) weather we have been having. I had no success. I was wondering if any of you out there have had the same problem and found inventive ideas for keeping the environment cooler so the seeds will germinate. My only idea is to bring them inside under lights. However, I am afraid that when I take them outside, they will just melt in the heat. Already, I have decided to wait a few weeks before sowing anything else. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Aleopold

Comments (16)

• cherylspenc
    18 years ago

Putting lettuce seeds in the freezer for 24 hours will help to break the dormancy of the seeds. Lettuce does not usually like to sprout in the heat of summer. It also sounds like you might need to wait a couple of weeks for things to cool down. Sustained temps above 90 is probably too hot for growing lettuce. (You would definately need to grow it in a shady spot.)

• organica
    18 years ago

Aleo:
    I've been having the same problem starting seeds, with this heat. I have been trying to cope with it by starting a new batch every week, putting the containers in a somewhat protected spot, and making a point of seeding whenever there's a break in the heat for a few days.

I have had the most success with kale and collards, to the point where I was able to set out a couple of transplants today (in containers, in a part-shade spot). Radicchio and lettuce are also doing pretty well so far but they could still get fried. Parsley has pretty much refused to germinate.

English peas have germinated OK in my raised beds but struggle a bit in the heat. I keep them watered and fill in with new seeds here and there.

I recently seeded some carrots and beets - only one carrot seedling so far but the beets came up OK.
    -O

• okprairie
    18 years ago

Also in zone 6b, I planted mesclun mix, arugula and some oakleaf lettuce last week in containers in the shade, using cheap compost from Walmart. All has come up fine except the lettuce, which is up, but not as thick as everything else. We did have quite a bit of rain last week but have also had high 90 degree temps - whew - sauna city. But the seedlings are doing OK so far. Also planted Swiss chard in a semi shade bed and it has come up as well. I'm trying to remember to water every morning but sometimes forget.

Organica - my experience is that parsley always takes a very long time to germinate. I usually plant it and then forget it for awhile. I have some coming up from the seedheads of my 2nd year spring parsley that I just threw out at the back of the yard where my compost pile was last year.

• salads_r_us
    18 years ago

I'm planting twelve different kinds of loose leaf, oak leaf and romaine lettuce, plus corn salad, arugula, sorrel, spinach, and broccoli. I have them in flats under a shade tree. The ones I planted last week have germinated, and I planted the rest yesterday. It went down to 50 last night, so fall is here. Half of the plants will winter over in the greenhouse when it cools down and the rest will go in a couple of cold frames. This is our first year with a greenhouse, so I'm experimenting. Hope to have fresh greens and broccoli all winter.

MJ

• organica
    18 years ago

OK:
    I'm sure you're right about the parsley. I finally just went and bought transplants, but next year I will try seeding it alongside radishes so I have something going on while the parsley seeds are taking their time.

I had my best luck with carrot seeds by putting a sheet of newspaper on top of the bed, lightly weighed down, and watering on top of that until seedlings appeared.

Salads: Sounds delicious. I'm going to have protected beds during the winter for the first time, too. Best of luck with yours. Did you plant a sprouting variety of broccoli?
    -O

• salads_r_us
    18 years ago

Organica -- I planted Southern Comet broccoli because the catalog said if you cut the main head when it's about 3", it will produce lots of side sprouts. This is my first year with the greenhouse, so I'm experimenting.

MJ

• tonitime
    18 years ago

I live in zone 6b, after moving from Sacramento 5 years back. The best way i have found to get my fall lettuce going - without fail, thus far - is to leave my Spring lettuce in place over the summer! It goes to seed and i have a whole new bed of hundreds of lettuce plants up now - some 7 kinds this season. I should be able to start picking it in the next week, tho small. Even witb our great lack of rain this year, this lettuce is wonderful to behold....and eat! I realize that not everyone has the room to leave their lettuce go, but if you do, this is as easy as it gets! Just ahake those dried blooms over your planting space and water a bit. I take the easy route because i grow all of my family's produce possible in this zone and am alwasy behind on about ten things in the garden after harvest and processing!
    Good Luck - nature saves me many steps!
    Toni

• organica
    18 years ago

Toni:
    Thanks for the lettuce tip, I had been wondering if it would reseed like that.
    -O

• aleopold
    Original Author
    18 years ago

After posting the message, I just wanted to say that I germed some varieties of lettuce inside, and 'Red Sails' has done the best. Also wanted to report on some mustard greens I have raised. One variety called 'Tendergreen' has somewhat tall, shiny, and upright leaves without very much bit at this point. I am also growing a variety called 'Florida Broadleaf.' The leaves are dull, flatter and lower to the ground, but it has more of a bit to it. Sowed some more today along with some collards. Talk to y'all later.

Aleopold

• organica
    18 years ago

Aleo:
    Have you found any varieties of collards or kale, that get less chomped by caterpillars than others?

I seem to be in the cabbage caterpillar capital.
    -O

• acjazz28
    18 years ago

Although I'm in zone 8, where we're still getting 100+ degree weather, I've grown Salad Bowl lettuce from seed inside my house by my windowsill. I sowed it the 2nd week of August and it took off like gangbusters. I knew it would be too hot to put outside, so since we keep the temp inside around 75-78, it was the perfect place for it. We don't have trees in our yard, so we get full sun on our windowsills and the lettuce has thrived. Once it gets cooler I'll plant more lettuce, broccoli and spinach outside...

acjazz28 :)

• aleopold
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmm Organica... I can't say that I have. I am trying some collards for the first time this year; the variety is 'Georgia.' I have never grown kale. I can say that the 'Florida Broadleaf' seem to be eaten on less.

• kumquat12
    18 years ago

too delicate to ship to markets, but lovely at the table and in the garden. My favorite.

• aleopold
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I too have noticed that. Planted 'Tendergreen' and 'Florida Broadleaf' very close and TG shows more pests and more stress. FB has better flavor I think.

• capt_agricultur
    18 years ago

Bibbs ,Romaine &Red sail

• carl102842
    18 years ago

organica This year I sprayed my cabbage & broccoli plants with Hydrogen Peroxide, water & liquid soap & have had the best control on cabbage worms I have had. We found NO live worms on either cabbage or broccoli.
    If using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide use 1 cup to 1 gal. water & a squirt of soap. If using 40% from beauty supply use 1/4 cup to 3 gal. water & soap. I sprayed about every 2 weeks or whenever we got having a lot of moths around.

Carl zone 5 or 6 (IDAHO)

Sponsored