Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terri_portland

Portable cold frames

terri_portland
17 years ago

Does anyone have experience with portable cold frames? I'm looking at a couple of different brands, one here or here or another kind from Charley's here (the 4-season plant protector). I want something I can start seedlings in early next spring and also to potentially extend the season in the fall. I need something easy to move and compact enough to store in a small space when I'm not using it.

Comments (7)

• catherine_nm
    17 years ago

I have the second one you have listed there, bought it this spring but didn't use it for early starts. I should have, as my squash and melons didn't do at all well during our surprisingly cool summer. I do plan to use it over my late-planted beds of greens and carrots, but haven't put it up there yet, as we haven't had freezing weather yet.

It's bigger than I expected, I have to say, so it will be a bit of a squeeze in the front bed where I plant my winter greens.

Catherine

• terri_portland
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I got to thinking it might be larger than what I need. Now I'm looking at the Seedhouse, which is considerably smaller but looks like it will be plenty for my needs. I can always order a second one if I need more room.

Thanks, Catherine.

Here is a link that might be useful: SeedHouse

• organica
    17 years ago

I thought about getting one of those but instead rigged up my own system. I set up a "frame" of plastic mesh or chicken wire around a raised bed, over which I drape and tuck a layer of floating row cover, and when a freeze threatens, I add a second layer of plastic. When it warms back up (which it does here, on and off all winter) or I need to water, I take the plastic layer off and stash it near the bed for the next time it's needed.
    -O

• raspberryflyer
    17 years ago

One thing that I use to serve the function of a portable cold frame is some of those square bales of hay. I just move them in place, around whatever plant(s) need protection. At least four will be needed, one bale to serve as the wall in each direction. Then for a "top" to this "cold frame" I use either old glass doors or windows from a nearby dump, or else I just put a large piece of plexiglass on top and weight it down with rocks.

Don't knock it -- it works great!

• ninjabut
    17 years ago

That sounds like a great idea. The only problem I would be worried about would be if the glass reflected or"magnifying glassed" the straw to ignite! This could happen in warmer weather.
    Maybe clear plastic would be safer. Just a suggestion. Nancy

• sqftgarden_in_wnc
    17 years ago

I found an inexpensive 2 shelf "garden house" at Kmart for $24.99. I am using it to harden off, which I started today. Here's a pic of it in the back of the picture, I haven't put everything in yet.

{{gwi:229193}}

{{gwi:229194}}

• organica
    17 years ago

Over the past winter, I tried using a double layer of row cover instead of a layer of plastic over a layer of row cover. It saved me the hassle of putting the plastic on and taking it off again - I just left the double row cover on all season. It worked just fine but we had almost no snow all winter (although some very cold weeks) so I can't be sure it would always do the job.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus