Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My cheapie cold frames...

Posted by rayinpenn (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 18, 09 at 10:46

I finally got around to taking a few photos of my cheapie cold frames... Comeone please let me know if the link works...

http://s994.photobucket.com/albums/af69/rayinpenn/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My cheapie cold frames...update

So what have I learned so far..
1) The carrots which I started in the open and moved the cold Frame over are doing great! Lush! with tons of green tops.
2) The other coldframe had a few lettuce & spinach pop but very few? The lettuce and spinach I started in a bed along side of the frame about a week later sprouted in 3 days and is doing just fine. So I retilled the soil in the nearly barren frame and did a heavy planting of spinach and lettuce..
My wife thinks it was lack of water..Even though I have kept the lids open most days, and My plastic isnt clear the frames seems to create a thirsty micro-climate that unfortunately do not get the benefit of natural rain (we have had plenty)...Now I'll be watering every day rain or not. First frost in 10/15 roughly 30 days away so there should still be time...my fingers remain crossed- 49 degress this morning..we are in a cold snap...
Ill add some more depth to the frames for the spring try ..and I'll see if I can try a different design..

o
RE: My cheapie cold frames...

So rayinpenn you still with us, how bout an update? What is your latitude? Are you waiting for spring? I had a great salad for dinner tonight, and only have 2 square foot of cool frames,and would like to expand. My latitude here is 43.91 the same as Eliot Coleman. To strong of wind for low tunnel No energy for high tunnel.Thanks.:-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here