Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
greenhouse versus shed?

Posted by ceresone missouri ozarks (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 17, 05 at 10:52

i posted this elsewhere, but dont have a answer-has anyone tried the shed type greenhouse, that has regular walls on ends and north side, but is all glass on the south? how do thesr compare to a regular greenhouse?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: greenhouse versus shed?

No experience yet, but construction on one will be starting soon. A good book, if you can find a used copy, is The Solar Greenhouse Book by James McCullagh. Written in the 1970's it is still a useful introduction. Newer coverings are available now, such as polycarb plastics but all in all, it is loaded with worthwhile info.

The difference is all about orientation and insulation and efficiency.

o

I have converted an old dog shed into a greenhouse/shadehouse. I have put laserlite clear sheeting on the roof and half way up the sides. The top half of the sides are louvre windows that are easy to open and shut as need be.
In winter it is all closed up, and in summer its opened up and shade cloth pulled over the roof.
Works a treat. Here is a shot of it.

Cheers Mantis

o

GREAT IDEA. IVE STARTED MINE AND I WILL USE SOME OF YOUR IDEAS. HOW DO YOU HEAT IN FREEZING WEATHER ? BILLTEX

o

Billtex - I dont heat it in winter. Our winters are mild compared with most in the US. I think we only had two frosts last winter. Even on an overcast day the greenhouse gets up around 20 deg C or 65-70 deg F.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here