Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joytosew

How do you keep the plastic down?

joytosew
13 years ago

Hello,

This year hubby made me a nice rot iron frame for my 4x12 bed. I purchased a heavy 6 mil plastic and placed it over the frame to lengthen my time with some crops and for later use when snow sets in it will protect my lettuce, broccoli, leeks, carrots etc..

Well last night we had a major storm with high winds and the plastic came right off.

My structure: the rot iron is made like a house frame he has the frames about four foot apart. On each side he has a support bar and going through the center. I placed the plastic over the entire thing rolled it under and placed rather large rocks around it. The rocks were about three foot apart.

The rocks didn't work so I am wondering for those of you that have hoop houses and things how do you anchor your plastic down so the wind doesn't take it off?

Comments (4)

• curt_grow
    13 years ago

One of the best ways is roll up the extra plastic on a board like a 2x4 and use weights like blocks, pails of sand, pails of rocks etc. That way you can move the weight and roll up the plastic in warm weather.

Curt

• joytosew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Curt I will give that a try tomorrow as we have had a second storm with high winds pull it right out from under the rocks again.

thank you,
    cristi

• billy_b
    13 years ago

Joytosew, I think you will have to find a way to hold your plastic to your rot Iron frame as well as hold it to the ground. On our home made hoop houses we use a home made plastic clip that is just a little larger than the plastic hoop parts. This clip fastens over the plastic holding it to the hoop. I used to use the 2x4 method and it worked fairly well. Last year I made some socks from some inexpensive fabric. We cut a 10" strip a little longer than the plastic we were holding down. We sewed this strip into a tube and closed one end. Then we filled it with compost and used a wire tie to close the bag up then we placed this long bag filled with compost on our plastic to hold it in place. It will water log making it very heavy and it will freeze in place holding the plastic very well, you just wont be able to get into the garden thru the sides when it is frozen (it thaws quickly though)we will be using these tubes a second year this year

• joytosew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Billy,

I placed a beam bigger than a 2x4 on the one side with hubby helping me. I like the tube idea I think it will work well around each corner to make sure the plastic stays down in those areas. I will work on this tomorrow.

So far the wood has kept the plastic in place even after having another storm come through.

thank you both,