Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing asparagus in Phoenix

Posted by growlove zone4 Ia. (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 17:25

I have been asked by a friend what he should do with his asparagus in his garden in Phoenix. Since I am from Iowa where our asparagus freezes back in the winter,I don't know if it can grow in Phoenix. Does it die back naturally without a freeze? Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing asparagus in Phoenix

It doesn't work well here without much cold weather but people keep trying. Who knows it could climatetize so if he has it in his garden then just keep trying, but here it usually just slowly gets smaller until it dies. But then your friend has a different climate than we do so nothing beats a try
Paul

o

I completely disagree with Paul. I am growing asparagus in a region of Arizona that is probably a little warmer than Phoenix. I have two neighbors that are growing beautiful patchs-- one that has been producing for at least 8 years. I understand that asparagus does need a dormancy period which here would be in the cooler months. I plan on cutting the tops back at that time and I will turn off the water on them. I am now in the process of building 4 boxes, 4'x 9' out of 2 by 8s so that I can expand my production.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 7, 11 at 17:57

Here in S.C. we plant twice the asparagus beds, then what we need in spring. We harvest from half the plants & ignore the other half until late June or July. Then we cut the ferns down with a lawn mower & water the beds, then wait for the new spears. What about the storage of energy for next year? The ferns will store up energy from April to July, before the next harvest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Four Season Vegetable Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here